MAPLE LEAFS (6-9-4) at HURRICANES (6-10-2)
7:00pm – PNC Arena (SportsNET)
Coming into tonight’s game the Maple Leafs are 5-3-2 in their last 10. They beat Patrick Roy’s silly style of play by a score of 5-1. Keep in mind, not a single puck went in for the Maple Leafs at 5v5 last game. All but one goal was scored on the PP. Leo Komarov opened the scoring with a bar down, short-handed clapper from just outside the hash marks. Games like this will happen and I will take the “W”.
The Carolina Hurricanes seem to be struggling on the offensive side of the puck. Though they have formidable possession numbers, they seem to have lost their scoring prowess as of late. Their goal differential sits at -18 both at 5v5 and in all situations. They have gone 4-4-2 in their last 10 games and currently riding a 4 game losing streak, 3 of which were at home. Hopefully the Leafs make it 5, and can get only their 2nd win against an eastern conference team tonight.
I will be honest. Being a fan of The Maple Leafs crest, I cannot, and will not cheer for losses. Though losses will be less disappointing this season knowing the path this team is on; every win, still brings a smile to my face, every goal, still makes me jump out of my seat and every great play, makes me shake my head disbelief.
My name is Steve and I love this franchise. I will NOT cheer for a tank. I will not subject my self to the low-life-ness that Barfallo Sabres fans showed last season.
What I would enjoy seeing tonight. A fight. I want Dion Phaneuf to unload a bloody fury of rights upon Eric Staal’s kisser. He deserves it after last season’s empty net clappergate. Since the Leafs have yet to score a fighting major this season, tonight is the night, the first one should come.
Kadri has to score eventually, right? I have no words right now about this topic
I apologize for the short game day thread …. but …. my night shift made me forget today was Friday.
Anyways, I want a win ……. lets beat the Canes ……
Toronto Maple Leafs
Gdiff (5v5) — -2
Gdiff (All) — -7
CF% (5v5) – 49.4
PP% – 20.7
PK% – 80.0
Gdiff (5v5) — -18
Gdiff (All) — -18
CF% (5v5) – 54.6
PP% – 13.1
PK% – 80.0
Toronto Maple Leafs
JVR – Kadri – Komarov.
Mathias – Bozak – Parenteau
Winnik – Holland – Lupul
Grabner – Froese – Boyes
Gardiner – Phaneuf
Hunwick – Rielly
Marincinin – Polak
Terry – Staal – Versteeg
Nordstrom – Staal – Nash
Skinner – Rask – Lindholm
Gerbe – McClement – Malone
Slavin – Faulk
Hainsey – Pesce
Hanifin – Liles
Today in Leafs History….
Today in Leafs history brought to you by …… @DoctorRobert
- 1934 – Harvey “Busher” Jackson sets a club record for most goals in a single period as he sniped four goals in the third period against the St. Louis Eagles. The Leafs won the game 5-2! This feat has never been surpassed, but it has been matched by several NHLers over the years.
- 1974 – Dave Keon plays his 1,000th NHL game as the Leafs took on the Pittsburgh Penguins in Toronto. Keon would celebrate this night by recording his fifth and final hat-trick as a Maple Leaf. But, alas, the Leafs lost an 8-5 thriller.
- 1993 – Wendel Clark leads the Leafs to a 3-2 win over the Oilers in Edmonton as he picks up a goal and an assist.
- 2000 – Over 800 items are auctioned off to fans at the old Maple Leaf Gardens. Did you get a chance to buy a piece of Leafs history?
- 2014 – JVR, Bozak and Polak tally two points apiece in a 5-2 win over Tampa. Lightning goalie Ben Bishop gave up 4 goals on just 20 Maple Leaf shots.